I've now got the beta pdf to look at so more comments as I really start to absorb it.
My initial thoughts follow:
- There is a setting included with most standard D&D style races like Dwarves, Elves, Halflings and Orcs. The human cultures include Chinese and Viking analogues, but there are some nice twists on the demi-humans to make them a bit less predictable than in many RPG.
- The encounter tables include additional detail for why the encounter has occurred, this will be useful to keep things interesting.
- The bestiary contains a lot of different twists on creatures to help make things different from a standard D&D style fantasy game.
- Experience is based on per session so characters will initially level up quite fast.
- The combat system has got a number of tweaks that will make heroes a lot more powerful, especially at low levels than in a normal OSR game.