My method is simply to refuse to purchase new miniatures until I have completed a specified number of the existing lead pile, the only exception being the odds and ends to finish existing forces for a project. So I have made a vow this year to paint a minimum of 50. Though as I need quite a lot of terrain that is not included in the spending ban.
As I have enough figures for most of my projects this year maybe it isn't so hard, but I still think the main thing is to select one project and work on that till completion before getting involved in a new one.
My current projects are:
- 25mm Fantasy and Medieval Skirmish with Song of Blades and Heroes,
- 10mm Zulu War with The Sword and the Flame,
- WWII with Fast and Dirty(FAD) and Troops, Weapons & Tactics,
- 15mm American Civil War with Fire and Fury
- 15mm SF with FAD
- 15mm Fantasy with Hordes of the Things
Most of which I already have fair numbers of painted figures for already, so just sorting out terrain is the priority.